All of us at CIRCL want to be as supportive and helpful as we can during these challenging times. Below we have a list of recent and highly relevant NSF news. We’ve also posted tips on how to host successful virtual advisory boards, and would love for the community to submit new Primers and other Rapid Community Reports, especially ones that could be helpful now (e.g. a primer on online learning? On the role of family in young children learning from screens? On multigenerational digital learning?) We will fast track any new submissions we get.
NSF Coronavirus Information and Impact on Upcoming Activities & Deadlines
NSF has established a Coronavirus Information page and is assessing program deadlines on an ongoing basis. Items of note linked from this page include:
- NSF Letter to Community Regarding COVID-19, an important notice to the science and engineering community.
- NSF Administrative Relief in Implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-17 includes a big change: OMB has now determined Federal-wide that canceled costs and fees for travel, lodging, etc. which are normally unallowable charges under Federal awards are now allowable costs – providing significant relief to the grantee community.
- FAQs About COVID-19 for NSF Proposers and Awardees addresses questions associated with the NSF proposal and award process that may arise in relation to COVID-19.
- Impact on Existing Deadline Dates provides updates on program deadlines on an ongoing basis, as NSF knows more about particular deadlines.
- The CSforAll: Research and RPPs deadline has been pushed back to April 27, 2020.
- The NSF DRK12 PI meeting in June is cancelled. NSF is considering holding the meeting in 2021.
- If you are serving on an upcoming merit review panel, note that these are all virtual at present; contact the cognizant program officer if you have questions about logistics.
Proposers are also strongly encouraged to check the NSF website regularly.
If you are not subscribed to the NSF/CISE announcements list and want to receive future updates, just send an email to email@example.com.
Calls for Proposals and Papers
NSF DCL: Request for Information on Future Topics for the NSF Convergence Accelerator and Call for Future Topics Conference Proposals invites submission of concepts through an online questionnaire by April 30, 2020.
Call for Submissions: Rapid Community Reports invites you to share findings and insights through Primers, Workshop Outcomes, or Design Reflections. To make authoring easier, we now offer Google Doc templates for each submission type; see Instructions for Authors.
Call for Papers: Special issue on Learning Experience Design: Embodiment, Gesture, and Interactivity in XR invites submissions on research studies that use the principles of embodied cognition meshed with XR to engage learners and promote learning outcomes in formal and informal environments. Mini-prospectus due April 15, 2020.
Questions? Always feel free to contact us.
The CIRCL Team